day 5

Scooter and I sauntered out of Smith Mountain Lake about 6:30am.  There had been heavy rain early in the morning but the roads where fairly dry.  Since this Wilson B&B did not serve breakfast and had a coffee maker that looked more like something in the cockpit of a modern airplane with buttons and computers and stuff, (I was afraid to touch it),we're off in search of breakfast and coffee.  The reported breakfast place at the corner of VA 626 and Va 40 and been picked up and moved over night I guess, as it sure wasn't there.  So we turned left and headed down the open highway.
At Alta Vista we headed for the Main Street Cafe, expecting grits and eggs.  But it was a latte and crousant type of place.  Both were good.  The cafe is built in an old bank building.  I think I mentioned last year that I almost got into the coffee shop business and it was to be in a bank also.  So, I talked to manager a little while. We then went across the street for Scoots 1.2 gal of gas and some fresh air in the tyres. Jason and David and I went throught the "questions" and then we where off.
The weather was foggy in places but the fog lifted and then it was just a gray morning with threats of rain.
In Appomatax, the first stop was the Vistor Information center in town.  Wanda was a treasure of information and maps.  "Anouymous", the helpful informaton person, was good entertainment. They convinced me to watch the 8 minute video.  Don't bother as it was 8 minute commercial and of no histerical value. They gave me a map of how to get out of this 2 stop light town to the Appomattax National Memorial.  I got lost.  I am blaming it on their map, which made no sense to me, but it could have been me.
Eventually we found our way out and headed up US24 to the spot where Generals Lee and Grant signed the cease fire.  When I roared up to the gate and George said "that will be 4 bucks for you and Scoot gets in for free".  I said "thanks anyway, but I read the book".  We hung around for a few minutes visiting.  When a pickup truck pulled up George explained it is $4 a piece to get in but if you are over 62 to you can buy a pass to ALL Fedreal Parks for $10 for the whole year. He had to repeat it as no one believes you can get a deal that good out of the government.

The rest of the ride up till lunch time was unremarkable.  I had rerouted myself to stay on US24 because of the threatening rain and it would cut some time of the day. I shouldn't have done that.
Today was about saving lives.  I saved 3 today. There is a story I could tell you here about years ago when Vicki made me turn around and go back so she could get a turtle out of the highway.  It was quite humorus to see this lady standing on the side of the rode holding up the finger to passing cars saying "turtle" like they could hear her or care.  But I won't. Anyway, I stopped 3 times and got Larry, Curly and Mo out of the rode.  They all wanted a scooter ride.
Lunch time came in Gordonsville, Va. a very nice small historic town.  The Gordonsville Deli had just opened in April and we gave it a try.  The chef/owner Jonathon was a very friendly guy and the place was nice, but the greek salad was only fair.  I visited with the local florist and her dog for awhile.  She gets most of flowers from a former excutive of Exxon who took the golden parachute and bought a flower farm.  She said business was steady and using local flowers kept the cost down.  She is one of the rare people who recongized Scoot as a true Vespa.  She said it was her Italian heritage.
We left Gordonsville on Va231 and the sun came out making it a wonderful ride.  It was rolling hills with lots of pasture land, large old houses and farms and a beautiful view of the mountains of in the distance. I stopped at an entrance with nice flowers to take a picture and all the cows in the field came running over to look.  They had not seen a Vespa I guess but they did not bother to ask the "questions".
About 3pm we rolled into the Janet Bearden B&B near Haywood, Va. Our dear friend Mopsy Lovejoy was already there and soon to arrive was Dr. Beard just back from a grand concert tour in Croatia and Italy. We will leave you here for a few days as we take a break from the road.